Online accounting courses are the new great way to enter the world of figures. Accounting is a very lucrative career choice and a great profession that provides long-term employment opportunities. If you’re currently an accounting major or an accounting professional seeking to enhance your bookkeeping and accounting knowledge, taking an online accounting course may be the perfect solution for you.
There are several online accounting course options available to assist you with your academic goals. Online courses are very convenient for those with very busy schedules who don’t have the time to acquire additional knowledge in a traditional learning environment. The following is information about accounting courses designed to enhance your overall accounting knowledge.
5 Top Schools Offering Online Accounting Courses
The University of Phoenix offers a wide variety of accounting degree programs on three different levels. They include an AA, BS/MS or an MBA Degree in Accounting. The courses are designed to help students obtain a degree or further expand their accounting knowledge. They even offer individual accounting courses and CPA exam preparation courses. The online courses are taught by industry professionals, so you’ll be sure to get the latest accounting information in the industry.
Not only are their instructors accountants, but they also have advisors and counselors to assist you with the initial enrollment process to graduation.
Because there are a variety of degree and individual online accounting courses offered, you can expect to be offered courses such as:
- Accounting 101 & 102.
- Intermediate Accounting.
- Tax Accounting.
- RE Accounting.
- Cost Accounting.
- Accounting Technology.
The University of Phoenix also provides flexible and convenient learning platforms to assist you better prepare for the accounting career path you’ve always dreamed about.
The Colorado Christian University equips students to become qualified accounting professionals. Their accounting programs will better prepare students for a variety of different career paths and roles that are available in the accounting job market. This will take place by providing them with a solid foundation so that not only will they become knowledgeable, but are confident about performing accounting functions.
They offer both degree programs and certificate programs for the private, non-profit, local and federal government sectors.
- Their courses include:
- General Accounting
- Tax Accounting
- Non-Profit Accounting
- Accounting Systems and Technology, and
- Governmental Accounting
Not only do they hire skilled instructors with hands-on experience, but they also introduce real-world concepts and lesson plans.
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania offers accounting student’s optional courses that prepare them for the real working world. Their programs are designed to assist both accounting majors and entrepreneurs who need knowledge and understanding of accounting fundamentals.
Their online accounting courses include:
- Accounting 101.
- Creating a Profit and Loss Statement.
- Preparing a Balance Sheet.
- Preparing a Cash Budget.
The best thing about these accounting programs is that they are free. Designed with small businesses and entrepreneurs in mind, the courses include the following:
- Accounting 101: The Fundamentals is offered by Kutztown University’s SmallBizU that teaches small business owners how to keep basic financial records.
- Creating a Profit and Loss Statement is offered by Kutztown’s Small Business Development Center. It teaches students how to develop a Profit and Loss Statement by using worksheets as well as key calculations needed to accurately prepare P&L Statements.
- Preparing a Balance Sheet provides information specifically about preparing the balance sheet by using tools such as audio, video, and worksheets.
- Preparing a Cash Budget – this course teaches online students how to create budgets using both the cash method and the accrual method. It also teaches students how to best examine cash flows and variances.
Indiana State University offers student’s real life accounting courses that allow them to earn a BS or Master’s Degree in accounting or specialized accounting certificates. The course also assists current accounting professionals in brushing up on any changes in the accounting industry.
Their online bachelor’s degree program consist of accounting courses such as:
- Financial and Management Accounting.
- Nonprofit Accounting.
- Accounting Information Systems.
Optional minors that are offered to students online consist of the following courses:
- Forensic accounting.
- Insurance and risk management.
Online accounting courses are also available to students who are interested in preparing for the CPA Exam or ongoing continued accounting studies.
Indiana State University prepares students for accounting careers that are available and in demand in a variety of sectors, including public accounting, private businesses and corporations, local and federal government, non-profit organizations, academic and higher learning institutions.
The Open University offers a unique online program that allows students to go through written exercises that contain many different activities for students to further delve into topics and gain more knowledge about various aspects of accounting.
The courses include:
- Introduction to the Context of Accounting, which provides students with the opportunity to look at some fundamental basics of accounting.
- Influences on Accounting Regulation, which is an online course that examines the financial reporting requirements from its early stages to its present-day function.
- Investment Risk allows students to become exposed to the teachings that define financial risk, that calculate risk factors and investors aversion to risk.
The online accounting courses offered in this program are offered at a different angle and is designed to lay the groundwork for aspiring accounting professionals.
To summarize, students with busy schedules who are interested in becoming fully engaged in the accounting profession, are in need of refresher courses or are entrepreneurs looking to learn about accounting principles to implement its concepts into their businesses, would greatly benefit from this wide selection of online courses.
If you are interested in participating in any of the courses presented above and / or have prior experiences with taking online accounting courses, please feel free to share your experiences with respect to the user-friendliness of the online platforms, working with apps, or any experience with the course curriculum or workload.